Monday, February 8, 2016

Butterflies and Ladybugs Baby Quilt


I have finished my Butterflies and Ladybugs Baby Quilt and PDF pattern! I wanted to make this pattern full of color, fabric prints, and different blocks. The two square patches, one fabric strip patch, and 8 pinwheels bring in a patchwork quilt look. The quilt has two large flower blocks, two ladybug blocks, and two butterfly blocks. I used an apple patterned white fabric around only the ladybugs to make them pop.


This is the ladybug from my Ladybug Quilt Block Tutorial. I made one red and dark blue and the other pink and light blue. Around the ladybugs I quilted scallops, red thread around the red one, pink thread around the pink one.




I used many different thread colors on this quilt. At first I had plans to use only white thread, with maybe a few accents in different colors. When I started quilting the diamonds I changed my mind. I quilted three seams per line of straight line quilting. The center line is bright white thread, while one side is pale pink and the other pale yellow. Like almost all of my quilts, on this one I used Warm and Natural quilt batting. It quilts great and shrinks up beautifully.



I quilted a wavy line on the seam connecting the border to the rest of the quilt top. That seam I did in teal thread, with spring green thread on each side of it. The binding is stitched down with pale pink thread.

This was taken partially through the quilting process.
These are all the thread colors I used!

Since the front had so much color, I used a solid pink to back it. The binding is a white on white floral print. The white binding frames the quilt nicely without taking away from the rest of the design. I used the same floral print for the thin border around the quilt.




Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I love this! Very pretty quilt! Would love to see you at my craft party which is new Thursdays at 7pm EST. I pin every instructional post!Have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete

In the Shop

One of a Kind Quilts
Browse quilts in a variety of colors, sizes, and styles. Also view table runners, PDF quilting patterns, wall hangings, and fabric grab bags.

On the Blog

Tutorials, Patterns, and More
View tutorials on fun sewing projects, basic quiting skills, and many different quilt blocks. Downloan free PDF patterns and printables.

Pattern Store

PDF Quilt Patterns
There is a variety quilt pattern styles to choose from. Bed quilt patterns, table runner patterns, and more.

Popular Posts

Free Pattern: Linked Stars
Posted on October 22, 2016
Full Machine Quilt Binding Tutorial
Posted on Septemeber 2, 2016
Tips and Tricks for Cutting Quilt Squares
Posted on July 12, 2016
No Waste Flying Geese Quilt Block Method
Posted on December 15, 2015

Follow Fluffy Puppy Quilt Works